Sunday, May 27, 2012

Rest in Peace Myra

Yes, sadly dear Myra passed away yesterday after a 2 year battle with cancer.  The last 2 weeks have been a struggle not only for Myra but her family and myself too, watching her in pain and discomfort.  Yesterday I was with her and the Nurses kept checking on us in case I missed something and should have rung the family who were having a much deserved night off.  But she went too fast to get anyone even the nurse.  I am so relieved for her and all of us that she had gone to rest but it is still so painfully hard to lose such a wonderful friend and 'sista'.  The funeral is going to be a quilt exhibition of Myra's quilts before they get distributed amongst the family.  She wouldn't have liked that because she didn't like a fuss but we've had them on her bed in the hospital and the nurses have been admiring them.  I know she will have heard the praise.

My old posts will have photos but as I'm not on my computer I cant download one.  I thank you all for your kind words and support over the last few months.  I am privileged to have had a true and loyal friend for 8 years and I will miss her terribly.  And to all of you who made Healing Hearts blocks for Myra Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  Her intention was to make 2 quilts - one of the NZ blocks and one of the overseas ones.  she finished the NZ one but the overseas blocks have been in a basket pinned to their envelopes and fondled often.  So it will be my pleasure to put them together and make a beautiful quilt in memory of her.

Here's to all of my good friends.  I don't feel alone without Myra.  Though I will miss her so much I know I'll always have a shoulder to cry on... for a little while  ,,, Myra said if I cry too long she'll push me over in the street!!!  Yeah right.  

10 comments:

Coloradolady said...

Hugs to you.....how difficult this must be for you. I will keep you and Myra's family in my thoughts. I think your plans for the funeral sounds amazing with the quilts.

MrsC (Maryanne) said...

You can always cry on my shoulder, pet. Although I may have to follow Myra's instructions! ;-) Big hugs to you and at least one saved up for when you get back oxoxoxoxox

GittaS said...

It is difficult from a good girlfriend to say goodbye.
I embrace you.
Many greetings from Germany
Gitta

Nancy J said...

True friends are a real value in our lives, and you have been there for Myra and her family.Take some time for yourself, and enjoy showing the quilts , that will go a little way for healing for you and others. What a lovely thoughtful idea. Cheers from jean.

Barb said...

Ohhhhhh I am sooooo very sorry...much love and prayers your way.

Thanks for taking us on this journey with you, I know it has been hard and will continue to be so for a while.

June said...

Myra's quilting legacy will live on in you Karen, what a great gift she gave you - this love of creating. You two shared a wonderful friendship. See you soon

stufenzumgericht said...

My dear Karen,
reading your heartwarming words about Myra made me smile, although there are tears in my eyes. I would have wished so much, that she'd be the winner in her battle with cancer, but it's not to us to choose, when life ends. So God surely has some other plans for Myra and you're right to wish for her, that she rests in peace. With you at her side until the end, she was blessed with the most wonderful friend she could have. I'm deeply thinking of you and Myra sending you lot's of hugs, yours, Martina

Unknown said...

Well this has been a journey for you. Always sad to lose a friend to such a dreadful disease. Hugs Kayjay

Helen said...

Hi Karen

It was lovely to see you at Tote'n'Gloat. My thoughts are with you as you grieve for the loss of Myra. Quilty hugs.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Karen,

Sorry I have missed this post and was so sad to hear about Myra's passing.
Having the quilts at the funeral must have been lovely. She was lucky to have a great friend like you.

Sending love & hugs and hope all is well with you and your family
Carolyn